Saturday, April 30, 2011
Okay there's seriously been WAY too much updates about the election on my blog. What the fuck happened?! I am supposed to be apathetic and frivolous. This just wouldn't do. I shall talk about work instead.

So I don't like to talk about my work too much here because.. well I don't know. It feels like boasting and that's annoying (or I could just be projecting since I loathe it when that "friend" on FB keeps spamming with pictures of the events/food tastings he's been to) but I just gotta talk about this. I was lucky enough to be one of the first few people to try out the 8-course degustation menu at L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon, helmed by Joel Robuchon who has, get this, TWENTY SIX MICHELIN STARS. TWENTY SIX. He has like 9 restaurants around the world and all of them are either 2- or 3-star Michelin restaurants. So anyway they've decided to grace Singapore at RWS and oh god trust me when I say it's probably the best meal I've ever had in my whole life.

It started with a foie gras amuse-bouche which essentially was frothy foie gras. I literally went 'oh my god' at the first spoonful and thereafter spoiled for all foie gras for the rest of my life.

And this is the salad which I finished. I think that about sums it up.

Amazing prawn fritter thingy

Another spectacular dish. Cheese+asparagus+quail egg sunny side up. I cannot even begin to describe how delicious this was. And when I say this of asparagus you know I mean business.

Creamy soup, with zero use of cream and a hint of citrus oil. HOW MANY TIMES CAN I USE THE WORD AMAZING.

Probably my favourite dish of all. Seared cod that retains its shape like a steak even after cutting into it but with unbelievable tenderness.

Oh god I completely suck at this unpretentious food writing thing. I AM SO BAD AT FOOD WRITING.

Anyway.

Another favourite. Quail stuffed with foie gras and a dollop of mashed potato on the side. Imagine the best whipped potato you've ever had in your whole life, and then multiply by a million. That's how excellent this mashed potato is. I would actually pay for a bucket of this mashed potato to be brought home.

Dessert! okay I have to admit I can't remember what this is exactly, so.. the only weak point of the entire meal?

The final item of the menu

And you know what they say about the French and their food presentation? Absolutely 100% accurate. These photos were taken on my piece-of-shit Blackberry and they still looked fabulous. The food takes credit; my Blackberry gets none.


BEST MEAL OF MY LIFE EVER AND EVER. SPOILED FOR FRENCH CUISINE FOREVERMORE.
 
posted by mian at 2:22 AM | Permalink |