Friday, October 22, 2010
So I am probably the most childish person on earth (and I don't give a shit), but every time I hear people I know talk about things like applying for flats, getting married, having kids, all I want to do is to run screaming in the other direction. Talk like this never makes me feel like I should grow up. Instead it makes me want to regress. Preferably to a time where we are too young to be worried about things like that, and when we already don't have to fret over stupid shit like school work and exams. OH WAIT. THAT TIME IS SUPPOSED TO BE NOW.

Let me put things into perspective. You basically have been tied down the moment you were born till the day you graduate from university by the lack of freedom, whether it comes from your parents or school, or in most cases, both. The moment you graduate, for the first time in your life, you are a fully fledged working adult. Sure there are bills to pay and money to give to your parents, but for the most part, you're living life for yourself. Your money's yours, you can splurge on stupid shit, you have fun, you live life. OR THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT PEOPLE OUR AGE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE DOING. Instead, what I see is a vast number of people rushing, seemingly in a bid to outdo each other (sorry, it just seems that way) to the altar, to do the exact things that are going to tie you down for the rest of your life, when YOU HAVE JUST GOTTEN FREEDOM.

Sure, I don't doubt that there are the few rare cases where it's a case of love conquering all (lol actually I do), but for the majority of these people, no offence, it just looks like a competition. Holy shit, XXX in the office just got engaged today. MUST. HINT. TO. BOYFRIEND. TO . APPLY. FOR. THAT. BTO. IN. SENGKANG. Yeah, they're really not kidding about Kiasuism being the culture of Singapore. And what happened to the my generation of people? Why are they suddenly all acting like people from the 50s, with nothing but marriage on their minds and wanting to get tied down before the age of 24?! GOVT, YOU SURE ABOUT THOSE MARRIAGE AGE AND BIRTH RATE STATS?

It's funny to me sometimes, except that it's not, because I swear everytime I hear talk of applying for flats among people who are NOT EVEN IN THEIR MID 20S YET I shudder. The point here is not that I don't approve of what they are doing, because I don't care. I don't want you to feel bad about doing something that clearly gives you joy, but rather, I am questioning the motives behind the actions, because right now, the main motivation behind all this seems more to do with the fact that it' a fad, a trend, that it's the in thing to do, and less because of love.

And also yes, FREEDOM. Yeah maybe I'm just idealistic, or childish, whatever, but I honestly thought now, right now, is the time where we can be selfish and live our lives for no one but ourselves. Clearly I'm in the minority with a thinking like that. Whatever. Excuse me while I not grow the fuck up and continue to have fun with life.
 
posted by mian at 3:10 PM | Permalink |