Honestly, I think I should watch every single episode of SI with lydia from now onwards. I had so much fun just now with her bitching about EVERY. SINGLE. THING. HAHA. In fact, I think most of the time we were just going, "NOOOOOOOOOO!!", "what's wrong with you OMG?!", "OMG SHUT UP YOU CAN'T SING" and "NOOOO NOT THE FAT GUY!".
Well what can I say about the show that hasn't already been said? The audition round was a riot as usual: mediocre singers + severely delusional individuals who need their hearing checked. I liked the deluded people, not gonna lie. They entertain me and make me laugh, so that's all good. (Although the Careless Whisper guy seriously needs to get psychiatric help soon. You're funny the first time. You're annoying the third time. And you seem to truly adore the attention. You're 30. That's not right.)
Mediocre singers - not so much. Most of them come across as having an overinflated sense of self-importance that probably stems not from the fact that they can sing mediocrely well, but because of the judges' fawning over them like they're the second Messiah. Hello, context much? And to date, I've only seen ONE GIRL that has that tiny bit of charisma that most of the other contestants seem to be lacking in huge doses.
Honestly, watching the show, it seemed like I was watching some joint-school-organized talentime. Not only was the singing *meh*, the dressing was another huge problem. If you are all going to be dressing like ah lians, then I WILL think of you as ah lians, and that will negate whatever singing talent you have. I don't know. All of them just look like little boys and girls to me and that means I will never be able to take them seriously. Maybe I've been spoilt silly, but to me, I will only pay attention to a singer if he/she can not only sing, but also comes in a pretty package of good looks, charisma and on-stage persona.
Which means, I absolutely cannot stand the boy-next-door look that some of these contestants are going for. If I wanted a boy-next-door as an idol, I would actually go look next door. I don't care if you can sing, because I have only so much patience for you doing the same thing over and over again. I don't even care if you can play the piano/violin/guitar/xylophone/shakuhachi/whatever. Sorry, but I really don't get why people make a big deal out of artistes who can play their own instruments. Anyone can learn the damn instruments. Not everyone is born with the voice or the charisma.
... Okay wait I think I'm not actually still talking about Singapore Idol. HAHA.
So anyway my point is this: on-stage persona > singing capabilities any day. Sad but true. As much as I hate to bring them up, just look at KISS.

Can they sing? No. But they've been around for ages and they're still playing at sellout concerts. Why? BECAUSE THEY CAN PUT ON A DAMN SHOW. They have the visuals, the effects, the excitement, the drama, and that's what I'd pay good money for. If I want to see somebody play the piano and sing I would go to a hotel lounge.
(That aside, Gene Simmons is a homophobic fucktard who needs to go and die in a fire)
And of course there's Christina, possibly the only female singer I ever liked.
Girl can sing AND put on a good show.Okay I think I may actually have forgot the point of this post.
Yes Singapore Idol! Okay seriously what else can I say? In all seriousness, I do not understand the point of this whole competition. I've said it once, and I'll say it again: there is no market for Asians singing english songs. Never did, never will. When locals don't even support local acts, what's the point? Lady Gaga came and 10,000 screaming
Alright I've run out of steam. Have yourself a pretty picture and good night.
LEARN FROM THIS, BITCHES!(no on 2nd thought. please don't)
Labels: adam lambert is a god... uh i mean what?, random rants, singapore idol makes me laugh