Monday, January 11, 2010
The Last Month in Recap/Pictures

December 9th, Wednesday
 (I THINK. It's either 2nd or 9th)

KTV with lyd, seah, william, jieying and sk (we need a group name). We sang/shouted along to Bad Romance about 20 times. It was awesome.

December 19th, Saturday

If there's one thing really memorable about this Genting trip, is that I spent 400 bucks in 1.5 days travelling to a different country for a singer I no longer give a shit about. (Whaat? Who says I'm bitter? I'M NOT. Okay I totally am) If this doesn't justify the FIVE FUCKING ADAM LAMBERT CDS I've somehow manage to buy over the course of two months, I don't know what will. 

(And I swear to God I have no idea how I managed to do that. Oh wait, one iTunes version, one physical copy, one collectors' edition which was not only fucking expensive, but also a complete rip-off, but never mind, I gave it to Seah in the end, one more copy to Mandy and one JAPANESE VERSION WHICH TURNED OUT TO BE EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE THREE OTHER PHYSICAL COPIES I BOUGHT. I think I need to set up a monthly Adam Lambert expenses account at this rate. I'm fucking ridiculous I KNOW. WHO WANTS THE 5TH COPY? I'VE GIVEN THE CD TO EVERYONE I DEEM WORTHY OF IT AND NOW I'VE RUN OUT OF PEOPLE TO GIVE.)

Alright the weather was really good too. In fact it was almost as cold as Europe and I nearly froze to death because I was grossly inadequately dressed because WHO THE HELL WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT GENTING COULD BE AS COLD AS EUROPE. 

My first time on board Jetstar. I know I'm a spoilt brat. It was okay actually, and anyway it didn't really matter seeing how we were in the air for barely 45 minutes. I was only on my 3rd listen of Bad Romance when the stewardess told me to stop. HOW DARE SHE INTERRUPT THE GAGA. Rude.  

It was cold and extremely foggy

All I remember of our journey to Genting was that we spent almost 6 hours or something before we finally checked into our room. It was all a blur because I was exhausted from sleeping less than 2 hours the night before. I was tired, and very very annoyed by the ridiculous number of gamblers going to Genting. 
So by concert time, I was ready to collapse into a pile, extremely cold and obviously not in the best of moods. But I'm not going to lie: I was looking forward to the concert. So I wasn't exactly a fan anymore, but hey, good music! And my second concert in my whole life!

The very first thing I noticed when we settled down in our seats was the sheer number of grandmothers and infants in the audience. I didn't know Raymond Lam concerts are the new Disney on Ice. I was immediately depressed. I wasn't expecting anything scandalous to happen but come onnnnnnn. I waved my light stick half-heartedly to keep myself from falling asleep while thousands of fans screamed every single time the lights flashed or an announcement was made.

When it was FINALLY time for the concert, I was jolted awake from my dazed stupor by the screaming and flashing lights. WOOOOOOHOOOOO! 

The man of the hour himself, looking dapper in a suit. He looked lovely, although I was scowling at the glittery cuffs.

His first song was that song from that drama show (no really, I cannot remember anymore) which, rejoice!, was something I actually knew. He was good, he sounded nice, he walked around the stage, he walked to the sides of the stage and all the fans went batshit. It was all good. Well within Raymond Lam expectations. I was getting all hyped up from the sheer energy in the crowd. This was starting to look up! AND THEN THIS HAPPENED. 

YEAH EXACTLY. WHO THE FUCK?

I've never ever seen this guy in my life, and judging by the lukewarm response he got from the audience, neither did most of them. Well anyway turns out he's some TVB up and coming singer/actor (aren't they all?) who's riding on Raymond's coattails for free publicity sharing concert time with Raymond. He didn't turn out to be too bad after all. At least he was funny and he was a decent singer and I was entertained (Also, I was extremely impressed by my own level of Cantonese because I understood 90% of the things he was rambling on about)

Unfortunately, things just went downhill from there. And no, it was not because of Raymond's hideous outfits (well that was 10% the reason, but never mind)
The top's fine, but WHAT'S WITH THOSE ALADDIN PANTS, RAYMOND?

NO SERIOUSLY, YOU NEED TO FIRE WHOEVER STYLED YOU THAT NIGHT.

Let me make this clear: he is a good singer. In fact, he's one of the rare few Chinese singers who sound exactly like he does on his cds. He is goodlooking, you can't deny that. Yes, so his songs sounded the same after awhile, and he was sweetly bland, but I know what I'm paying for and who I'm watching. Unfortunately, all this did not help with the complete disappointment of a concert.

So no. It wasn't about the outfits. It wasn't about the fact that owning one album of his did not do me any good because he sang mostly from his 2nd and subsequent godknowswhich album. It wasn't that I was struggling to stay awake throughout the concert, partly from exhaustion and partly from sheer boredom. It wasn't even that the only time I woke up was when he attempted to dance and I laughed myself awake. No, I'm bitter about this whole thing, and will continue to be so because for the amount of money I paid for, I expected a Raymond Lam concert. Sweet boring ballads and all, I don't give a fuck. BUT WHAT I GOT IN RETURN WAS THIS:

A RAYMOND LAM AND FRIENDS CONCERT

AND I THOUGHT THAT GUY COMING OUT SINGING TWO SONGS WAS BAD ENOUGH. After every two Raymond songs, we'd get TWO SONGS BY ALL THESE SINGERS THAT NOBODY HAS EVER SEEN OR HEARD OF. Really Raymond, I don't care if they're your good friends. THE TICKET SAID A RAYMOND LAM CONCERT. IT DIDN'T SAY FEATURING TEN OTHER POMPOUS HALF-ASSED SINGERS WHO CAN'T MAKE IT ON THEIR OWN WITHOUT THE HELP OF RAYMOND LAM. You know what, I can't even remember it anymore, but I'm pretty sure in the span of the 2.5 hour concert, 1.5 hours were taken up by these people singing/dueting with Raymond.

Yeah, Yong Er showed up at one point during the concert for a duet and then two songs of her own (but of COURSE). She's a really good singer blah blah blah but by that point I was so annoyed I really couldn't care less (also, I waved my lightstick a little too hard and the cover flew off and then I had no lightstick)

Thanks to these people (excluding Raymond), I didn't even enjoy my favourite Love Not Guilty (yeah it's a literal translation) song and I was grimacing throughout their encore medley of Christmas songs. Really? It doesn't get more cliched and worse than this, does it?

Fortunately for my own sanity it didn't. I left, feeling extremely cheated and pissed off and swearing I'd never go near a Raymond Lam concert again (unless they have free tickets).

Four hundred bucks for this. Dear lord. The only way I can ever make it up to myself is if I fly to the US to watch Adam Lambert AND then Lady Gaga in concert, but then I think I'd still be left with enough resentment to buy myself a cheap ticket to watch Ke$ha.



Well that was long. MOVING ALONG.



December 24th, Thursday

Being the typical Singaporeans we are, we headed over to JB for cheap seafood

I have way too much fun and I laugh way too hard with them ♥


December 25th, Friday

And there we go, with our usual tradition of Christmas party. What more can I say that I haven't already said in the past four years? Good food, good fun, good company :)

Oh and have you ever tried playing Taboo in dialect? FUNNIEST. THING. EVER. I. SWEAR. I laughed till I cried.


31st December, Thursday


NYE with sparklers



9th January, Saturday

Celebrated Jo's birthday at The China Club where he treated us to very expensive dimsum because he had too much money he was extremely grateful to us for helping him get his 1st class honours hahahahaha. No I'm actually serious. It was awesome, and really expensive, so thanks Jo! And always glad to lend my BM214 report out ;)

Sorry Jo I would totally put the one with your pretty girlfriend but I look shiteous in it so I won't. :D

Then it was Huimin and Zhi's 23rd birthday celebration (I typed 23rd and I freaked out a little. OMG I'M GOING TO BE 23 THIS YEAR AND LOOK WHAT I'VE ACCOMPLISHED SO FAR. Oh whatever)and we had dinner at this lovely restaurant called Lenas where you can absolutely judge the food based on appearance. YES it's awesome and pretty reasonably priced too.

Too bad none of us remembered to take a group picture. Hahaha.



AND I'M DONE!
WHOA FINALLY.

OK BACK TO HIBERNATION.
 
posted by mian at 8:26 PM | Permalink |